Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Swellers My Everest Review

From Search and Rescue records comes an outstanding pop-punk release from Michigan's The Swellers. This record took all of five minutes to grow on me. It's infectious and I appreciate it for it's simplicity and pop-punk sensibilities. "Bottles" is a stand-out track and pays tribute to Jawbreaker with its guitar sound. Influences are many for The Swellers and the list is pretty impressive. NoFX, Blink 182, No Use For A Name, The Ataris, etc. This is not a list to simply copy from, this band indeed does their own thing and it's very good from the beginning of "My Everest" 'til the end.

"The Flood" is a hyper-paced punk backlash, replete with guitar solo no less! "This Is My Everest" is a solid mid-paced punk track and showcases the bands ability to craft a memorable melody. "Clean Slate" and "Surrounded" are both fair. "What's At Stake" is another stellar track as is "Skoots". Both quickly establish a foundation rooted in power punk and add in the now familiar Swellers harmony.

It's not every day that I pop a CD in and am able to listen to it from beginning to end, there are usually a couple of tracks that I just have to skip past. Not on "My Everest"! Every track is enjoyable, sure it's all similar, but what's wrong with that. Released during 2007, I suspect that it got buried a bit amongst other punk releases, but they still developed a loyal fan base. If the band can keep up this good song writing, then greater things are ahead and certainly a broader audience will just naturally occur.

Go Grab it at Amazon


or Grab It at iTunes
The Swellers - My Everest

No comments: