Monday, February 9, 2009

Blink 182 Reforms!!!

Yep, it's true, Blink 182 has reformed, is in the studio and is preparing to tour! Announced last night on the Grammy's, they have apparently reconciled and are picking up where they left off. Love them or hate them, the band is certainly a force in pop punk. I've been a fan ever since I first heard "Cheshire Cat" on a little San Diego indie label. Though they went on to form +44 and Box Car Racer, there has been a void in pop punk since they split. "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" is a phenomenal punk album. And the self-titled album in 2003 was completely experimental and in my opinion a huge success. I think I always knew that Travis Barker was a drum talent like rock may not have seen, but on the 2003 release, he showcases his craft in an extraordinary manner.

That self titled release moved the band past their youthful stage and put them squarely into the mature punk rock mainstream. I suspect that with the new album it will be a blend of their pop punk roots, their experimental side along with a healthy dose of their post-Blink lives and its influences. It's going to be great. Come on, admit it, when you heard the news, you smirked and said "that's very cool"! I know I did.

No comments: