Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rocket From The Crypt - Circa Now 1993 Review


From a 1993 magazine that I published comes a review of the classic RFTC "Circa Now". I know that this band certainly has a passionate following, even after their demise, but it's their legacy that is fascinating. To this day, their music is fresh, innovative and OK, I'll say it "fun"! Circa Now marks a change in the band, still garage punk in nature, but this is a bit more mature. It's also probably the first RFTC album that comes close to capturing the essence of the band live. RFTC was the best live band amongst that San Diego 90's alt/punk scene, which is saying a lot when you have Lucy's Fur Coat, Boilermaker, Aminiature, Uncle Joe's Big 'ol Driver and Fluf in the mix. Circa Now captures that raw power and 16 years later is is as rockin' as ever! Enjoy...

From 1993. OK, so I am really keen on finding out more about San Diego bands and that might influence my opinion. But in this review, I will be completely objective. RFTC are the greatest thing since sliced bread, the wheel, the light bulb, party balls! They are the savior of music itself! those of you who think I am serious can stop reading. What this band really is, is a fantastic ensemble of musicians who have released an independent album that knocked me off my feet. "Circa Now" is a powerful, at times noisy, collection of songs, each of which could easily be hummed after just the first listen. "Killy Kill", "Ditch Digger" and "Don't Darlene" are but 3 examples of this bands refreshing ability to pen both song and lyric. I've heard that this is doing well for an independent release. Having found out about RFTC late in the game, I can't say that I have been a fan for years, but they certainly have impressed me. the power pop songs on this release should convert any alternative music listener to an instant fan. If not, I'll continue to voice my thoughts about an album that pleases this listener.

Jump to today, gotta love a review with the words "party ball" in it! For you youngsters, a party ball was a short lived late 80's mini version of a pony keg that you and your buds could drink. It's main downfall was that you couldn't shotgun it!!!!
Go Grab It At iTunes
Rocket from the Crypt - Circa: Now! +4

No comments: