Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pennywise - Pennywise


Writing about Pennywise made me want to go back to the beginning and listen to their S/T debut on Epitaph Records from 1992. That in turn, made me want to go unearth the review I wrote about that release in a small West Coast magazine. When I was last listening to "Reason To Believe" I couldn't help but think about Kevin Seconds and 7 Seconds. Clearly, 7 Seconds passed the torch to Pennywise and they have carried it admirably. Funny, I talk about that in my review from 16 years ago.

Enjoy!

1992 Review: This is the debut from Los Angeles based hardcore outfit Pennywise. This album is nothing short of impressive! the band offers up a simplistic brand of harcore that is a rare treat these days. Tunes like "Fun & Games" and the title track "Pennywise" are blasts of speed and power with the added benefit of crisp production. Don not let the fact that this album sounds really clean, turn you off. Pennywise lack the grunge but make up for it with sheer emotion. the straining vocals by Jim are fantastic and evoke a pseudo Kevin Seconds sensation. Any time a band can come close to the achievements of 7 Seconds, they have indeed achieved greatness! I have yet to be disappointed by anything on Epitaph Records and look forward to many years of good, clean punk music.

Sure enough, since then Epitaph has put out some fine work and as has Pennywise!

Go Grab It At iTunes
Pennywise - Pennywise

No comments: