Tuesday, June 30, 2009

THE WORLD WE KNEW To The Wolves Review

From Long Island comes The World We Knew. "Maturity" is the first word that comes to mind as I finished listening to the release for the second time. While TWWK has only been around for about 5 years or so, there is a certain maturity to both their music and their songwriting.

I did not hear 2007's "Exordium", so this is my first exposure to the band. And after reading that TWWK is "committed to bring innovative and exhilarating material to a stagnant genre of music" on their bio, I thought, man these fellas better seriously bring it with that kind of throwdown challenge. Not sure I agree about stagnant, since virtually every hardcore / metal band is on one of the many summer tours heading across the US (see Thrash and Burn, Summer Slaughter, Pedal to the Metal, Mayhem Festival, 10 Bands for $10, etc.). But I will give TWWK some serious credit for releasing an album that comes across as far more mature than their years and certainly more mature than some of bands filling those tours.

Musically, TWWK has some pretty broad appeal. There are elements of hardcore, thrash metal, death metal, grindcore and even some melodic thrash. Released on Jamey Jasta's Stillborn label, you can hear elements of Hatebreed, but I would liken the band a little closer to New Jersey's God Forbid, although the production on "To The Wolves" surpasses "Earthsblood" in terms of pure brutality. I would also offer that TWWK have infused some significant hardcore elements that might be missing in other bands of the crossover genre. Maybe that's natural given their locale, but I hear some NYHC a la Madball and SOIA. They take all of these varied influences and they do truly acheive the "innovation" they spoke to on their bio.

For me, the standout track on "To The Wolves" is "News Flash". In just a short 3 minutes, this song illustrates that maturity, tempo changes, melodic death metal, pure thrash elements and some stellar hardcore screaming courtesy of their outstanding vocalist, Frank. The album certainly starts out strong enough too with the title track and I can't help but think that that track is nothing short of a crossover free-for-all. I can imagine the mosh pits that "To The Wolves" must create. I also love "King Of The Ring" for its pure aggression and I hope they appreciate that after hearing that track it made me want to unearth "Heartwork" by Carcass and marvel at the intricate guitar work of that those death metal legends.

Finally, I think we have found a new hardcore / metal production talent in Nick Bellmore. He has produced an album with the high quality production value of say the last Hatebreed, but has done it in a manner that honors and respects the technical intricacy found in TWWK's music.

My only disappointment is that I actually have to go out and get the actual album as it has an extra track, "Vanquish" that's not on the downloadable version. That's how much I enjoyed listening to this release!

Go grab it at Amazon


or at iTunes
The World We Knew - To the Wolves

No comments: